span of her life = 1 year, 10 months, 2 weeks = approximately 679 days
x
roughly 2 hrs. (give or take an hour) each time
x
3 times a day the 1st year and 2 times a day now (let's just average that and say 2.5)
____________________________________________________
= 3,395 HOURS OF:
The 1st year:
- The 5 S's (UPDATE: The name of book is actually Happiest Baby on the Block btw - sooooo good! Helped me so so much)
- Blowdryer and Vacuum c.d.s. (yeah, seriously)
- Sitting on the toilet (with the seat down of course) under the unbelievable loud roar of the vent, which calmed Dora down every single time - while rocking her to sleep. (Yes, it's true)
- Walking her in circles around the island separating the kitchen from the living room - countless times, for what seemed like eternity (actually I have to give credit to Restless Hubs on this one)
- Muscling through breastfeeding while having a breast infection - the - whole - year - while praying for her to fall asleep before having to pull her off because it was too damn painful to keep going.
The 2nd year (NOW):
- Walking her
- Rocking her while walking her
- Driving her
- Watching endless episodes of Wow Wow Wubzy, Oswald, and Oobi (what the hell is up with that show by the way?!) with 200% attention on her and nothing else for fear of being up all night in the event of me not giving her 200% of my attention.
so THAT'S what happened to me!
(This post contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you.)
11 comments:
oh my... you have all my sympathy!!!
Think of everything else you could have done with that time. Sad . . .
I thought I had it bad, but at least I didn't have an infection! I have spent a lot of time sleeping next to my baby because I'm worried she'll wake up if I go away (and I have reason for my worries)!
I hear 'ya. We go through stages with Munch. Sometimes she goes down without a fight and then other times...not so much :\
We're just emerging from a three month phase where she was giving us HELL at bedtime. I figure we have a week or so before it starts back up again.
I remember when she was only a few months old...I would be up and down the hallway AAALLL night long. There were times when I would fall asleep STANDING next to the crib with my face pressed against the wood rails.
BAH! Excuse me while I go OD on birth control pills :\
Random: Speaking of Oobi...'sup with Grampoo??! Have you noticed him hitting on the piano teacher and the chick at the fruit/veggie market? Uhm...or so Munchie TELLS me...
Thanks Angel
Moz: I know, can you imagine?! Although, I've wasted more time doing meaningless crap. It'd be interesting to calculate that!
I see absolutely nothing wrong w/sleeping with your baby - you have to do what is best for YOU and the BABY. Not what society thinks is right for you. (Dora has slept with us since she was born, and we wouldn't want it any different).
Bekkah: Good to know we're not alone. That's too funny that you fell asleep standing! I remember being that sleepy in the early stages. I should keep those in mind when all I'm really dealing with now is an hour or two BEFORE going to sleep - NOT in the MIDDLE of the night. OMG - total nIGHTMare!!!
Yeah hand me over some of those birth control pills! No wonder I'm so nervous about having another one...
Haven't noticed the Grandpoo hitting on the chicks - hilarious BTW - but seriously - what - is - up - with the way they talk?! it's friggin' W.E.I.R.D.!
I feel your pain. There were times when I considered going to a motel just to get a good night's sleep.
Of course, I still have those times when I'd like to escape--but not from the crying, from the whining and hitting and name-calling. Yes, they do grow up.
Good luck, and take a nap.
Omigosh, ANOTHER one?! The idea totally freaks me out. My sister is due in November, her little guy will turn 3 next week...I'm nervous FOR her!
No idea what's up with the grammatical issues on Oobi?! They should create a "Parts of Speech" episode o_O
Dear Restless,
My daughter is 18 months old and is thrilled to go to bed every night. Seriously. I am going to let you in on our secret: Baby First TV. We have Direct TV it is channel 293. It costs us $5 extra per month and she LOOOOOOOVES it! The shows are short, 3-5 minutes and at night, they get the kids ready for bed. The night time programming starts at 8pm and there is no talking, just music, lullabies, beautiful imagery and swirling colors. It's kind of like Baby einstein, only WAY better. Ryan goes to bed at 8:15 every night, without a hitch. Look into it, it is the best!!!!
btw-
I know that you like to keep your real life private, but if you ever feel like getting our girls together, let me know. I am getting ready to get her into a playgroup and it would be nice to start with a mom that I sort of know, even if it is just in the bloggy world.
High five for the mom sisterhood! When the twins were babies, my hubby worked nights. Guess who had to take care of them all by herself? Yep, me. When Sophie was a newborn, she nursed me so raw that I had a cuts around the circumference of both my nipples. It bled so bad and it hurt like a mutha, but I pressed on, because I AM A WOMAN! That's right. No man can hold a candle up to the pains we moms have to go through. Well, maybe a few, but that's because I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.
Hugs to you RHW, you deserve it!
Thanks Meg. Good to know it gets...better?
Redhead: I will definitely check into Baby First TV - I felt like a total bad mom for using the TV to put Dora to sleep - but if there's actual programming for it, then I'm not the only one! Re: getting girls together - I can't even tell you how unbelievably BUSY I am. I'm freelancing and have a lot of work coming in, and it's kicking my ass. I barely have time to do this! Thanks for thinking of us though! You really should check out Mommy and Me! the website is www.mommyandmewest.org
Corinne: wow - you really ARE WOMAN - hear both of us roar! It's awesome to hear another militant breastfeeder's story of suffering, but continuing to do it regardless of the pain! No, no man CAN hold a candle up to what mom's go through. But, I guess it's not their fault - it's just the way it is - it's nature! Thanks Corinne! You're the best!
I totally "emphathize with you." Bedtime is still a nightly challenge, let alone my 2 year old son popping up at 4 or 5am and think it's okay to just roam the house.
What works for my son at bedtime is that we give him his bath, then do storytime (usually end up reading about 7 books or so).
Then, I tell him that's it and put him in his bed. I sit in my rocker next to his bed with the light off and his nightline on and a lullaby cd on(I usually play this cd called Dreamland lullabies. It's so soothing that it puts me to sleep) and then I just wait for him to go to sleep. I usually take my laptop in there with me because it can take up to 30 minutes sometimes for him to go down. It has been effective.
Also make sure she gets enough playtime in the afternoon/evening..enough to wear her out. That usually helps too because then he's exahausted and will just go on to sleep.
Although every once in a while it backfires because he can get so wired. Who do our children put us through this.... why won't they just sleep??? Now I see why older people don't sleep as much. I remember my grandmother used to only sleep like 5 hours a night and I always wondered how she functioned like that. I think she just got used to a lack of sleep with the 10 children she raised. Oh well!!
Connie: Thank you so much for your comments and advice. I'm definitely up for trying the whole regimen. Re: the wearing them out thing...yeah, it doesn't always seem to work! You would think it would, but not always huh?
10 kids??!! Wow! I'm scared to have 2!!!
Post a Comment